As a member of IGEL you can create your own network within the IGEL community. Several of our members have won European and National Grants in part because especially in the humanities, collaborative projects with the sciences receive more funding. For instance, the very competitive call for proposals of the European Research Council explicitly encourages interdisciplinary approaches.
The new board has decided to slightly change our recruitment policy in an effort to better balance between costs and income of our society, especially in the off-conference year. The new annual fees are €70 for regular members (professors, researchers, members of institutions) and €50 for discount members (students).
There is also the possibility to obtain a biannual membership at a lower annual rate: The new biannual fees are €120 for regular members (professors, researchers, members of institutions) and €80 for discount members (students).
There are more reasons to apply, however:
• As a member you automatically receive the Society´s journal, The Scientific Study of Literature (SSOL), with two issues published every year.
• We are creating a list of all members of IGEL that will appear on our website. Membership includes you in that list and allows you to connect with many innovative scholars, as well as to disseminate your research, call for papers, announcements, etc. within the unique IGEL community (in case you do not want to be mentioned on the website as IGEL member, please contact us). Through our twitter account (@igelsociety) you will always be updated about our activities.
• The IGEL-society organizes exclusive training schools and workshops to permit literary scholars to acquire the necessary knowledge to work empirically, and scholars from the sciences with training in literary and linguistic theory, to ensure empirical projects have strong theoretical grounding. Among these methods are: statistics, the psychophysiology of literary reading (reading time, eye-tracker, EEG), etc. This is a unique occasion for literary and media scholars to learn how to test their hypothesis and the theories they work with!
• Lastly, membership provides you with discounted registration at this year’s biennial conferences. The 2016 conference will take place in Chicago. Members are also entitled to participate in the Society’s governance and vote in elections of members of the Governing Board.
Membership fees are paid by money transfer to the newly created bank account of IGEL, which is the best method for our European members:
Account holder: International Society for the Empirical Study of Literature and Media
IBAN: NL53 TRIO 0390 9278 05
Sign up for IGEL Membership here! Please use the PayPal Payment below, selecting your membership option:
- €70 for regular members (professors, researchers, members of institutions)
- €50 for discount members (students)
- €120 for biannual regular members (professors, researchers, members of institutions)
- €80 for biannual discount members (students)
*Please do not pick temporary option, unless you have been in contact with our treasurer, Massimo Salgaro.
The reference box below the membership option is for indicating the following:
- last name, first name
- e-mail address
For further information contact the IGEL treasurer, Massimo Salgaro.
Photo: © Ianaré Sévi (own work) [CC BY-SA 3.0 (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0)], via Wikimedia Commons